Security source tells news agency militants had obstructed the agreement, amid report of blasts near column of buses leaving city

Syria’s government said the evacuation of Aleppo had been suspended on Friday due to “obstructions”, after reports of an attack on a column leaving the rebel-held area of the city.

“The evacuation operation has been suspended because the militants failed to respect the conditions of the agreement,” a security source told the AFP news agency.

Hezbollah, the Lebanese ally of Syria’s government, said protesters had also blocked a road out of eastern Aleppo, demanding the simultaneous evacuation of Foua and Kefreya, two villages in the Idlib countryside blockaded by rebel groups.

Syria’s state TV channel Ikhbariya meanwhile said rebels had sought to take prisoners with them in the evacuation, which it said was a breach of the deal.

Reuters reported blasts had been heard at a location where buses were departing eastern Aleppo. A witness told the news agency that they had heard at least four blasts.

More to follow

Middle East Eye